Food Preparation and Nutrition: Teaching & Learning Resources
Students that want to cook their way to success will enjoy our Course in Food Preparation and Nutrition, it is packed with tasty and innovative ways to let their creativity in the kitchen pave the road to success.
KS3, GCSE, AQA, eRevision, Eduqas, OCR and more…
126 products available in the following categories:
AQA, Educas, OCR, WJEC,
Hospitality and Catering (Level 1/2)
WJEC Level 1/2 Hospitality and Catering
Food Science and Nutrition (Level 3)
BTEC Technicals (level 2)
Food and Beverage Service (2017)
Professional Cookery (2017)
Patisserie and Confectionery (2017)
Food preparation is a vital skill for students and the world as it gives life to creativity whilst it feeds the world.
The coursework covers the following topics:
- Understanding ingredients and food commodities
- The properties of food including nutrition, sensory and functional aspects
- Discovering food and tasting new combinations
- Practical activities including processes, equipment, and materials in skillful preparations
- Evaluating and analyzing food products and performance using industry techniques
National Curriculum Requirements at KS3
Students will be taught a variety of ways to prepare and cook well-balanced nutritional dishes in a safe and hygienic environment. They will be shown how to widen their understanding of food, diets, and healthy living to further develop their practical skills in cooking techniques and food preparation.
Students will study to:
- Apply their understanding of Health and nutrition
- Master a host of delicious dishes, mostly savory, to feed themselves and others with a healthy diet
- Gain the confidence and competence in many cooking techniques from, choosing and preparing various ingredients, using the tool of the trade and electrical equipment, heat use in food preparation tastes textures and smells – and how to combine them.
- Knowledge of the source and seasonality of ingredients from cereals to vegetables to meat, fish, and poultry including fats/oils, milk & dairy products.
- Develop their skills in basic cooking with products like – rock buns, fruit & vegetable crumble, cakes and scones, biscuits & brownies, fruit salad, coleslaw, tuna salad, pizza, and sponge cake
- The importance of a healthy and safe workspace
- A functional understanding of ingredients and their nutritional properties
- Evaluate products to suggest improvements
KS4 ASA GCSE
Food Preparation and Nutrition
This is an exciting course that builds on the student’s creativity with coursework that explores the practical cooking skills needed for a future in food preparation. Students develop an in-depth knowledge of nutrition, food provenance, and the attributes of food materials. This course focusses on the nutritional and practical skills needed to excel in nutrition. Students will cover 5 key aspects of food preparation:
- Food Science
- Food Safety
- Food Choice
- Food Provenance
- Food Nutrition and Health
- Mastering the safe cooking skills like planning, preparing and cooking with a multiple of food commodities, techniques, and equipment
- Gain the understanding and knowledge of the chemical process, functional properties and nutritional content of foodstuff and drinks
- The relationship of diet, nutrition, and health and the physical and psychological effects of diet and health
- Food availability and the effects of economic, socio-cultural and environmental impact on food availability
- Display the understanding of the functional nutritional properties of food and the sensory and microbiological aspects of food preparations and serving
- Understanding and exploring the variety of ingredients and culinary processes and traditions that inspire innovative ideas for new recipes
The Pearson BTEC Level1/2 course for the First Award in Hospitality will be assessed externally for one unit, namely – Unit 1: Introduction to Hospitality. BTEC Hospitality offers students a foundation in understanding the complexities of managing a hospitality business at every level from Chefs to Waiters to Bar Staff, Front of House operations including reception and guest liaison as well as accommodations. This course aims to encourage and inspire students to gain the knowledge needed to have a successful career in the Hospitality Industry.